This new release aims to take on the likes of the MK818 and others with a built-in camera. However, the CS968 isn’t missing for features elsewhere and looks set to become one of the more feature-rich models on the market – but with a price to match.
The CS968 is powered by Rockchip’s everywhere RK3188 quad-core Cortex A9 SoC CPU, accompanied by a decent 2GB of DDR3 RAM and 8GB of on-board flash, preloaded with Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) operating system. At this stage, there’s no indication whether the CS968 ROM has been compiled with Rockchip’s SDK2.0, which appears to give the RK3188 SoC CPU some extra zip thanks to more efficient code compilation.
The unit comes with an impressive four USB2.0 host ports plus an SD card slot, good for cards up to 32GB. With four USB ports, the CS968 has enough expansion options to work as low-cost mini PC without the need of an external USB hub (except possibly for external hard drive storage).
There’s excellent network connectivity too with RJ45 Fast Ethernet plus 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 supported by an external antenna. Video is available through the usual HDMI port but you also get composite AV through a 3.5mm TRRS port.
Unfortunately, little appears to be known about the camera – there are no details on its resolution or frame rate, although there’s no reason why this couldn’t be a decent 1080p@30fps camera, given the RK3188 CPU has the speed to handle it. We’ll try to hunt down its specs and update the story when we know more.
So far, we’re seeing the CS968 come out with a price on Aliexpress of around $106 including shipping, but the package is surprisingly good in the ‘value’ department – you get a 2.4GHz stick remote, along with composite AV cable, HDMI cable, table-top clamp stand and DC power brick. But it’s also being bundled with 2.4GHz wireless mouse keyboard from some resellers.
|Processor||Rockchip RK3188 quad-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.8GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||SD, up to 32GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||802.11b/g/n (inc. RJ45 Fast Ethernet)|
|No./type of USB ports||4 x USB2.0 host|
|HDMI form factor||Yes (inc. composite AV output)|
|Announce Date||September 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- Ditter U24 STB mini PC packs in VIA SoC CPU
- Low-profile VS-ATV-102 TV box comes with dual-core Amlogic CPU
- Rikomagic MK602 combines camera, microphone with Rockchip CPU
- Compact V482 STB mini PC delivers Wi-Fi, Ethernet, composite AV
- MeLE M3 STB mini PC comes with three video output options
- UG008B TV box mini PC delivers three-way networking for under $70
- CS928 mini PC runs Amlogic dual-core CPU, has composite AV output
- MK823 mini PC features Allwinner A31s quad-core CPU
- Himedia Q11 Duo STB mini PC powered by HiSilicon 3718 CPU
- New MK822 quad-core mini PC with Bluetooth 4.0