A reasonably stylish design, the T001 is built around the tried and tested Rockchip RK3066 dual-core Cortex A9 SoC CPU with 1GB of DDR3 RAM, 8GB of flash, preloaded with the latest (for a mini PC) Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) operating system.
Storage is expandable through the on-board MicroSD card slot, good for cards up to 32GB. Plus, there’s a single USB2.0 host port to handle a USB hub for extra peripherals. Power is supplied over a microUSB OTG port.
It also does reasonably well for wireless connectivity with what we believe is 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi on-board, along with Bluetooth 2.0. The main problem you’ll likely have with this one is nailing down the actual specifications. Not all sellers we saw were forthcoming with the version of Bluetooth or Wi-Fi on-board and there is some confusion over the version of Android on offer, with some models running version 4.1.1 and others a more recent 4.2.2 release.
The key thing is that all prices we’ve seen have been under the $50 mark, including shipping, particularly on Aliexpress but other online retailers too.
As for extras including in the bundle, you’ll find a short HDMI extension cable, OTG cable plus USB host cable and AC power brick.
Rockchip’s RK3066 SoC CPU is one of the more powerful dual-core options on the market at least in terms of graphics power, thanks to its Mali-400 MP4 graphics engine, which puts it ahead of Allwinner’s A20 chip. The new Allwinner A23 and Rockchip RK3026 dual-core models both feature 2G wireless/cellular connectivity features and its unlikely we’ll see these turning up in any mini PC any time soon.
|Processor||Rockchip RK3066 dual-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.6GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB|
|No./type of USB ports||1 x USB2.0 host, 1 x microUSB OTG|
|HDMI form factor||Yes|
|Announce Date||September 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- Hi714 mini PC packs in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth with dual-core Rockchip CPU under $50
- E888 USB stick mini PC runs Android 4.2.2 with quad-core CPU
- T005 mini PC packs in quad-core chip with 2GB RAM
- AD6333 slimline USB stick mini PC with dual-core Rockchip CPU
- MK806 mini PC gives MK802 chassis a dual-core reboot
- MX6 mini PC runs Amlogic dual-core processor
- QT850 mini PC with dual cores and dual antenna
- Kimdecent MK31, a Podoor T518-lookalike quad-core mini PC with external antenna
- Ditter U24 STB mini PC packs in VIA SoC CPU
- New MK822 quad-core mini PC with Bluetooth 4.0