Despite what might seem a glut of mini PCs hitting the market, there always seems to be room for one more with the QT970 the latest to make its arrival known.
The QT970 TV stick mini PC appears to feature a new chassis design with an external Wi-Fi antenna located at the back-end of the slim casing and a standard HDMI plug on the other end. The TV stick-style mini PC is powered by Allwinner’s A31 quad-core Cortex A7 SoC CPU, which has the gaming advantage of including the highly-rated PowerVR SGX544 MP2 graphics engine.
On-board storage includes 1GB of DDR3 RAM and 8GB of flash, preloaded with Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) operating system. At this stage, there’s no word on whether an upgrade to Android 4.2.2 (or even Android 4.3) will be available. Storage can be expanded through the MicroSD card slot, good for up to 32GB per card.
According to resellers, the QT970 features two microUSB ports plus a Type-A USB2.0 host port – we’ve only seen the microUSB one here shown next to the MicroSD card slot. One of the microUSB ports is said to be for DC power input; the other for OTG functionality.
Where this one does get points is its wireless connectivity – in addition to the external antenna, you also get 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0. That said, given the work that’s obviously gone into this one, the choice of Android 4.1 is surprising.
With its 1GHz Allwinner chip, the QT970 is now one of the cheapest mini PCs going around with a price of $62 including shipping available from Aliexpress. While we don’t expect it to match Rockchip RK3188-powered equivalents, the PowerVR graphics engine here should acquit itself well on Android games.
|Processor||Allwinner A31s quad-core Cortex A7|
|Clock||Up to 1GHz|
|GPU type||PowerVR SGX544 MP2|
|Operating system||Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||802.11b/g/n (inc. external antenna)|
|No./type of USB ports||1 x USB2.0 host (TBC), 2 x microUSB (OTG, DC power)|
|HDMI form factor||Yes|
|Announce Date||September 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- Reko QT800 mini PC powered by Allwinner A20 CPU
- UG007III TV stick boosts Allwinner numbers, adds Bluetooth
- MeLE M8 quad-core STB mini PC discounted for limited time
- MK823 mini PC features Allwinner A31s quad-core CPU
- New MELE M9 set-top-box mini PC features quad-core A31 CPU
- CX803 TV stick mini PC delivers dual-core CPU, external antenna under $50
- New Measy B4K comes with quad-core, HD webcam
- New MK809C TV stick mini PC features slide-away antenna, optional 16GB flash
- Android mini PC brand Ditter launches new V20 and V21 TV stick models
- Miniand now selling CS868 quad-core TV stick for $US92