A dead-ringer for the Hi717, this CS928 set-top box-style mini PC features the same hardware and most retailers are happy sharing the same box shots on their websites.
For those who haven’t seen it before, it’s a reasonably-well stock model powered by Amlogic’s AML8726-MX dual-core Cortex A9 SoC CPU, accompanied by 1GB of DDR3 RAM and 8GB of on-board flash. Like the Hi717, the CS928 is preloaded with the latest (for mini PCs) Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean operating system.
There’s no Bluetooth but you do get ‘Wi-Fi’, according to resellers, which we expect to mean 802.11b/g/n and there’s an RJ45 Fast Ethernet port for wired network connectivity.
Video output comes by way of HDMI 1.4 port and there’s a bonus of composite A/V via a 3.5mm TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve) connector.
You get two USB2.0 host ports and expanded storage through the unit’s SD card slot, which can handle cards up to 32GB.
Amlogic’s AML8726-MX CPU runs ARM’s Mali-400 graphics engine but in a straight-line performance drag test, this chip will likely be out-muscled by Rockchip’s RK3188 quad-core model. Still, this Amlogic CPU is reportedly doing well with hardware acceleration of XBMC media player, but the round chassis probably isn’t the neatest look when you have cables poking out like spokes on a bicycle wheel.
The full package includes dedicated DC power brick, remote control plus composite AV cable. We’ve seen this unit selling on Aliexpress for around the $80 mark, but if you look around, you’ll probably see the Hi717 equivalent selling for closer to $70.
|Processor||Amlogic AML8276-MX dual-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.5GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP2|
|Operating system||Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||SD, up to 32GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||802.11b/g/n (inc. RJ45 Ethernet)|
|No./type of USB ports||2 x USB2.0 host|
|HDMI form factor||Yes (inc. composite AV)|
|Dimensions||117 x 117 x 25mm|
|Announce Date||July 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- Low-profile VS-ATV-102 TV box comes with dual-core Amlogic CPU
- New 10moons D6 dual-core TV box with Amlogic CPU
- Zoomtak M6 mini PC delivers coax digital audio, dual video output
- CS838, an EM6 mini PC look-alike with dual-core CPU, four USB ports
- Hi717 takes the round with latest Android 4.2.2 OS
- Ditter U24 STB mini PC packs in VIA SoC CPU
- ACUBE A1 TV box mini PC offers HDMI, composite AV
- MX6 mini PC runs Amlogic dual-core processor
- Bluetimes builds dual-core TV box/compact PC
- MK810 USB-stick mini PC uses dual-core Amlogic chip