Somehow we managed to miss this MK819 dual-core set-top-box style mini PC, despite thinking we’d already covered it. However, looking into it, we’ve found it selling on eBay for just $36.99, including shipping.
It’s a compact Apple TV style model with just a slightly higher profile. It’s powered by the first-generation Rockchip RK3066 dual-core Cortex A9 SoC CPU with 1GB of RAM and 8GB of on-board flash, preloaded with Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) operating system.
Despite its diminutive size, it punches above its weight for features with MicroSD card slot, good for up to 32GB per card and two USB ports – one USB2.0 host and one microUSB ports (although the reseller says two microUSB). It’s also well featured when it comes to connectivity with 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1 and RJ45 Fast Ethernet ports. You also get an external antenna on the back.
Video output options are also better than average with HDMI plus composite AV output, the latter via a compact 3.5mm TRRS connector.
The real surprise was finding this one on eBay for just $36.99 including shipping. Is the price legit? It’s certainly lower than other resellers, who typically offer a $55 or higher pricetag. If you can get it at $36.99, that’s excellent value. It won’t be the fastest mini PC you’ll find but it’ll easily be the best one you can find for under $40. At $55, it’s obviously less good but still, reasonable for an STB design.
|Processor||Rockchip RK3066 dual-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.5GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD card, up to 32GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||802.11b/g/n (inc. RJ45 Fast Ethernet)|
|No./type of USB ports||1 x USB2.0 host, 2 x microUSB OTG|
|HDMI form factor||Yes (inc. composite AV via 3.5mm TRRS)|
Try these similar stories:
- Ditter U24 STB mini PC packs in VIA SoC CPU
- Waxberry Pi2 dev board packs in dual-core Rockchip CPU
- Himedia Q11 Duo STB mini PC powered by HiSilicon 3718 CPU
- UG008B TV box mini PC delivers three-way networking for under $70
- Low-cost CS848 delivers external Wi-Fi antenna, Rockchip CPU
- A20 mini PC combines Allwinner A20 CPU with Android 4.2.2 OS
- MK808C TV stick debuts with dual-core CPU and composite AV output
- Low-profile VS-ATV-102 TV box comes with dual-core Amlogic CPU
- Rikomagic MK602 combines camera, microphone with Rockchip CPU
- Compact V482 STB mini PC delivers Wi-Fi, Ethernet, composite AV