Mini PC maker MeLE looks to be running out its interesting set-top box style mini PC called the Mele M8, which normally sells for $120, but for the next seven hours on Aliexpress, you can pick it up for $89.99.
MeLE looks to be the last seller moving this one so it’ll likely be a run-out model. But for that price, you’ll get an STB mini PC featuring Allwinner’s A31 quad-core Cortex A7 SoC CPU. It can’t match Rockchip’s RK3188 quad-core Cortex A9 processor in a straight-line dash, but it does come with PowerVR’s SGX544 MP2 eight-core graphics engine, which is about the best you’ll find in any mini PC at the moment.
That chip is accompanied by 1GB of DDR3 RAM and 8GB of on-board flash – more and more mini PCs are now including 2GB of RAM so that’s something to consider when you’re sizing this one up.
You get two USB2.0 host ports plus a microUSB OTG option – and there’s a standard-sized SD card slot, good for cards up to 32GB. Being an STB type, the MeLE M8 features its own remote control bundled into the kit.
As for other peripheral options, you get dual audio outputs – a 3.5mm stereo analog audio port plus an optical S/PDIF digital audio output, in addition to the HDMI output. There’s also dual networking with 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi with external antenna plus RJ45 Fast Ethernet port. What looks to be missing however, is Bluetooth as none is mentioned.
As for the price, it’s around $20 more expensive than the cheapest STB-style mini PCs we’ve seen so far, but it’s also one of the few to feature the Allwinner quad-core CPU with its eight-core PowerVR graphics engine.
|Processor||Allwinner A31s quad-core Cortex A7|
|Clock||Up to 1GHz|
|GPU type||PowerVR SGX544 MP2|
|Operating system||Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||SD card, up to 32GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||802.11b/g/n (inc. RJ45 Ethernet)|
|No./type of USB ports||2 x USB2.0 host, 1 x microUSB OTG|
|HDMI form factor||1.4 (inc. analog audio & S/PDIF optical)|
Try these similar stories:
- New MELE M9 set-top-box mini PC features quad-core A31 CPU
- MeLE M3 STB mini PC comes with three video output options
- QT970 TV stick features Allwinner quad-core chip, external Wi-Fi antenna
- Mele launches $110 quad-core Allwinner TV box
- New MeLE A1000G firmware upgrade now available
- MK823 mini PC features Allwinner A31s quad-core CPU
- Mele starts shipping A1000G TV box
- UG007III TV stick boosts Allwinner numbers, adds Bluetooth
- GV11D TV box gets dual-core CPU, camera and Android 4.2.2
- Jesurun A19 Android TV box packs in VGA, SATA HDD bay for $80