It might feature a very familiar chassis, but there’s now another name for the CX-919II, DM918 and other similar dual external antenna model TV stick mini PCs – you can now add ‘MI 808IV’ to the list.
This particular model runs the everywhere chip of the moment – Rockchip’s RK3188 quad-core Cortex A9 SoC CPU – but with a claimed 1.8GHz clock speed, although we’re not sure how much faith to put into that spec since the majority of RK3188 units clock at 1.6GHz standard. Still, it also comes with 2GB of RAM and 8GB of flash, preloaded with Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean). You can expand that storage through the MicroSD card slot, up to 32GB per card.
You get the usual peripheral ports – a Type-A USB2.0 host port and two microUSB ports, one for OTG work, the other for DC power input.
Wireless connectivity is covered by 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 so it’s amongst the best you’ll find for this functionality.
You’ll find the MI 808IV selling on Aliexpress for around the $72 mark, which isn’t too bad for this particular chassis design, although we have seen other RK3188-powered TV sticks selling for around the $65 of late.
What we don’t know is whether the kernel of this one has been compiled with Rockchip’s recently-released SDK2.0 setup, which is said to greatly improve video stutter. Depending on which Wi-Fi/Bluetooth chip is used, it may well be possible to flash a custom ROM on this one from the ‘Finless ROM’ range…
|Processor||Rockchip RK3188 quad-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.8GHz (TBC)|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB|
|No./type of USB ports||1 x USB2.0 host, 2 x microUSB (1 x OTG, 1 x power)|
|HDMI form factor||Yes|
|Dimensions||88 x 32 x 16mm|
|Announce Date||August 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- T005 mini PC packs in quad-core chip with 2GB RAM
- MK819 dual-core STB mini PC sells online for $36?
- New MK809C TV stick mini PC features slide-away antenna, optional 16GB flash
- iPEGTOP Dual-core RK3066 TV stick mini PC drops below $33
- Smart Mini PC features VIA WonderMedia CPU
- Hi702 mini PC, a CX-919 lookalike with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- QT850 mini PC with dual cores and dual antenna
- QT970 TV stick features Allwinner quad-core chip, external Wi-Fi antenna
- HG-UD4 mini PC under $40 with Rockchip CPU
- UG007III TV stick boosts Allwinner numbers, adds Bluetooth