It’s becoming rarer these days to spot a new design mini PC that isn’t a rebadge of something we’ve seen before but the new MK809C is as close as we’ve seen to a new design for a while with what looks to be a distinct slide-away Wi-Fi antenna.
In some ways, it’s similar to the Podoor T518 but instead of sliding away on the side, the MK809C’s antenna slides out from the top like a matchbox.
As for the mini PC itself, it’s still powered like almost everything else by Rockchip’s RK3188 quad-core Cortex A9 SoC CPU and includes 2GB of DDR3 RAM with 8GB of flash, preloaded with Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) operating system. There is an option for 16GB but at unknown cost.
Either way, the storage can be expanded via MicroSD card slot, good for up to 32GB per card. There’s also the standard Type-A USB2.0 host port and two microUSB ports – one for OTG support and the other for DC power input.
Wireless functionality is provided by Broadcom’s AP6210 wireless chip, which delivers 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 3.0 connectivity. According to the retailer we spotted selling this model, the MK809C features an ‘internal antenna’ so we’re not 100% sure if it is a slide-away antenna. However, if it’s not, we have no idea why this bit of sliding plastic exists.
We found this one selling on Aliexpress for $70 including shipping, however, the seller has no feedback score so make of that what you will.
|Processor||Rockchip RK3188 quad-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.6GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|Internal storage||8GB (16GB option)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||802.11b/g/n (inc. external antenna)|
|No./type of USB ports||1 x USB2.0 host, 1 x microUSB OTG|
|HDMI form factor||Yes|
|Dimensions||101 x 38 x 13mm|
|Announce Date||August 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- New quad-core HG-UD7 mini PC has optional dual-band Wi-Fi
- Kimdecent MK31, a Podoor T518-lookalike quad-core mini PC with external antenna
- Ugoos UM1 TV stick features dual-core CPU with remote control
- New MI 808IV TV stick features familiar chassis, quad-core CPU, Bluetooth
- New IPPLI Mars i2 TV stick mini PC offers external removable antenna
- CX803 TV stick mini PC delivers dual-core CPU, external antenna under $50
- QT970 TV stick features Allwinner quad-core chip, external Wi-Fi antenna
- CozySwan S400 USB stick mini PC with detachable Wi-Fi antenna
- QT850 mini PC with dual cores and dual antenna
- Reko QT800 mini PC powered by Allwinner A20 CPU