The TV stick-style mini PC market is dominated with variants of Rockchip SoC CPUs but this MX6 strikes a different path, featuring Amlogic’s AML8726-M6 dual-core Cortex A9 processor.
It’s clocked at 1.5GHz and include ARM’s Mali-400 graphics engine. The MX6 is accompanied by 1GB of RAM and 4GB of flash, preloaded with Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) operating system – and there’s no word of when or if an Android 4.2.2 upgrade is or will be available.
There’s a microSD card slot for storage expansion but only to 16GB, according to resellers we’ve seen. As for external ports, the MX6 is the common HDMI-plug style chassis and includes a standard USB2.0 host port plus a microUSB port. Surprisingly, there’s also a 3.5mm stereo headphone socket on this one.
It features 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi but no Bluetooth while the kit bundle includes HDMI extension cable, USB cable and 5VDC/2A power brick. You’ll find this one at Pandawill for $41.50 including shipping.
The Amlogic AML8726-M6 SoC CPU is reportedly one of the better options to use with the XBMC media centre app due to hardware acceleration enabling HD video playback, however, this is also now supported on Rockchip’s RK3066 SoC CPU at least, if not others.
The MX6 is certainly one of the cheapest dual-core mini PCs going around and the 3.5mm stereo earphone socket is an usual extra you don’t often see on mini PCs of this size and type.
|Processor||Amlogic AML8726-M6 dual-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.5GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400|
|Operating system||Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 16GB|
|No./type of USB ports||1 x USB2.0 host, 1 x microUSB|
|HDMI form factor||Yes|
|Dimensions||93 x 35 x 11mm|
Try these similar stories:
- E888 USB stick mini PC runs Android 4.2.2 with quad-core CPU
- Hi714 mini PC packs in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth with dual-core Rockchip CPU under $50
- T005 mini PC packs in quad-core chip with 2GB RAM
- AD6333 slimline USB stick mini PC with dual-core Rockchip CPU
- iPEGTOP dual-core mini PC with built-in Bluetooth/Wi-Fi
- MK806 mini PC gives MK802 chassis a dual-core reboot
- Kimdecent MK31, a Podoor T518-lookalike quad-core mini PC with external antenna
- QT950 mini PC, a CX-919II quad-core lookalike for $60 plus shipping
- U26 a dual-core mini PC with Bluetooth/Wi-Fi under $50
- QT850 mini PC with dual cores and dual antenna