There’s a ‘take no prisoners’ battle going on in the mini PC market at the moment with new brands seeming to appear every day, jockeying for position in an ever-tightening market. This Ocean Star OS-TRK303 is the first dual-core model we’ve seen to start selling for under $40.
The TV stick style model features Rockchip’s RK3066 dual-core Cortex A9 SoC CPU with 1GB of RAM and 4GB of flash, preloaded with Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) operating system. That storage can be expanded by MicroSD card, up to 32GB per card. There are also two USB port options – a standard Type-A USB2.0 host port plus a microUSB OTG option, which doubles as the DC power input.
Apart from the internal 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and antenna, there are no obvious extra features here, besides the HDMI plug poking out of the other end. Up until now, it has been the original MK802 and other first-generation single-core mini PCs that have occupied the sub-$40 market. But with more and more models arriving and many of those featuring quad-core CPUs, the pressure on older dual-core models will likely mean this isn’t the last multi-core model we see drop below this $40 price point.
What the Rockchip RK3066 CPU has in its favour is its quad-core Mali-400 MP4 graphics engine – it’s not the fastest option available but in terms of mini PCs at this price point, it’s about as good as you’ll see in terms of performance per dollar.
We found this one selling for $38.99 plus shipping on Aliexpress.
|Model||Ocean Star OS-TRK303|
|Processor||Rockchip RK3066 dual-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.6GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)|
|Internal storage||4GB (optional up to 16GB)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB|
|No./type of USB ports||1 x USB2.0 host, 1 x microUSB OTG|
|HDMI form factor||Yes|
Try these similar stories:
- Ocean Star TRK306 quad-core mini PC selling for $57
- HardKernel launches ODROID-XU mini PC with Exynos 5 Octa CPU
- New Auxtek T001 TV stick mini PC hits the market
- Webcam mini PCs – MK602 or MK818
- New quad-core HG-UD7 mini PC has optional dual-band Wi-Fi
- Ugoos UM1 TV stick features dual-core CPU with remote control
- Hi714 mini PC packs in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth with dual-core Rockchip CPU under $50
- iPEGTOP Dual-core RK3066 TV stick mini PC drops below $33
- U26 a dual-core mini PC with Bluetooth/Wi-Fi under $50
- Low-cost Hi709 USB stick mini PC delivers dual-core Rockchip CPU