While the new MK821 TV box mini PC features a dual-core SoC CPU, this equally-new MK822 sibling runs Rockchip’s RK3188 quad-core Cortex A9 SoC CPU with a decent 2GB of DDR3 RAM and 8GB of flash, preinstalled with Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) operating system.
It’s essentially the same chassis work as the MK821 with HDMI, RJ45 Fast Ethernet wired networking and three USB2.0 host ports, one of these on the back. Storage here can be expanded through the SD card slot on the side, good for cards up to 32GB.
Doubling the RAM and the CPU core count should deliver noticeably better performance on this one.
While we’re not sure about whether the dual-core version features Bluetooth, we’re far more confident this one does, being distinctly mentioned in the specifications.
What’s impressive about this MK822 is the price – at $68 plus shipping, it’s one of the lowest prices we’ve seen for quad-core TV box-style mini PC. The bundle for this one includes HDMI cable, DC power brick and connecting cable. What’s interesting is that the power cable is an unusual USB to DC plug type so while the power brick has a basic USB port, the back of the MK822 features a two-pin DC plug. All of that means don’t lose the power cable as it’s not likely to be a type you’ll find at your local computer store.
Still, you won’t find too many faster TV box mini PCs around at this price.
|Processor||Rockchip RK3188 quad-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.6GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||SD, up to 32GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||802.11b/g/n (inc. ext. antenna, RJ45 Ethernet)|
|No./type of USB ports||3 x USB2.0 host|
|HDMI form factor||Yes|
|Announce Date||August 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- MK823 mini PC features Allwinner A31s quad-core CPU
- CBN802 quad-core mini PC delivers Wi-Fi, BT for $63
- New CS968 STB mini PC features camera, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, quad-core CPU
- T005 mini PC packs in quad-core chip with 2GB RAM
- AD6352 mini PC includes quad-core CPU, Bluetooth 4.0
- Hi714 mini PC packs in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth with dual-core Rockchip CPU under $50
- MK819 dual-core STB mini PC sells online for $36?
- MX6 mini PC runs Amlogic dual-core processor
- iPEGTOP dual-core mini PC with built-in Bluetooth/Wi-Fi
- MK806 mini PC gives MK802 chassis a dual-core reboot