Chinese mini PC brand Himedia has launched what we think is the first mini PC featuring a HiSilicon processor in the new Himedia A7 TV box mini PC.
It’s a compact model well stocked with peripheral ports but runs HiSilicon’s 3718 dual-core Cortex A9 SoC CPU, the first time we’ve seen this chip but not the first time Himedia has used it – that honour belongs to the Himedia Q5 II TV box mini PC.
Here though, the 3718 comes with 1GB of RAM and 4GB of flash, preloaded with Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) operating system. There’s a full-size SD card slot to expand that further, up to 32GB per card.
However, the impressive features are the peripheral extras. There are three full-size USB2.0 host ports, along with HDMI output and composite video out through RCA sockets. You also get coaxial S/PDIF digital audio output, which is easier to work with than the optical version. And the added extra here to impressive audio fanatics is the claim that it supports 7.1-surround, including Dolby and DTS decoding, plus support for DTS-HDMA.
Networking isn’t too bad either with RJ45 Fast Ethernet and 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi on-board, but what looks to be missing is Bluetooth – we can’t find any reference to the personal network tech on this one. The main difference between the A7 and the Q5 II is there’s no SATA port on the A7.
According to androidpc.es, the Himedia A7 will become available at the end of August. While the price has not yet been released, it’s expected to be cheaper than the Q5 II due to the lack of that SATA port.
|Processor||HiSilicon 3718 dual-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.6GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400|
|Operating system||Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||SD, up to 32GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||802.11b/g/n (inc. RJ45 Fast Ethernet)|
|No./type of USB ports||3 x USB2.0 host|
|HDMI form factor||Yes (inc. composite AV RCA), coax S/PDIF|
|Dimensions||170 x 155 x 24.5mm|
|Announce Date||August 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- HiMedia Q5 II STB mini PC features external SATA connector
- Himedia Q11 Duo STB mini PC powered by HiSilicon 3718 CPU
- Jesurun A19 Android TV box packs in VGA, SATA HDD bay for $80
- Webcam mini PCs – MK602 or MK818
- ACUBE A1 TV box mini PC offers HDMI, composite AV
- New CS968 STB mini PC features camera, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, quad-core CPU
- Hi720 TV box mini PC packs in quad-core CPU, external Wi-Fi antenna
- Low-profile VS-ATV-102 TV box comes with dual-core Amlogic CPU
- Zoomtak M6 mini PC delivers coax digital audio, dual video output
- Kaiboer Q7 packs in dual-core CPU – and 3.5-inch HDD