TV box-style mini PCs can be sometimes more desirable than the USB stick-style models, particularly when being used as a desktop PC replacement, especially if they come with more features and a more stable-sitting chassis. This UG008B is a good compromise between those USB stick style options and some TV box models users may consider too large.
The UG008B is a compact AppleTV-sized mini PC powered by Rockchip’s RK3066 dual-core SoC CPU. It runs Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) so it doesn’t look to be a brand-new model (although we’ve not seen this model number before). Along with the CPU, it packs in the standard 1GB of DDR3 RAM and 8GB of flash.
There’s external storage available through the MicroSD card slot, good for cards up to 32GB. Despite its size, you don’t get as many USB ports as we’d have liked – one type-A USB2.0 host port and a microUSB OTG port is better than nothing but many USB stick style mini PCs offer this too. Given the size, we’d have liked to have seen at least two Type-A USB2.0 ports.
Despite that, there’s good networking here with RJ45 Fast Ethernet wired available along side 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 3.0 feeding into an external whip-like antenna. With a proper socket, you could also throw in your own antenna if you prefer.
Video output options aren’t bad either with the standard HDMI output alongside composite AV through a 3.5mm TRRS socket. DC power comes through its own socket via a 5V/2A DC power adapter.
We found this one available on Aliexpress for around $64 including shipping.
|Processor||Rockchip RK3066 dual-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.6GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||802.11b/g/n (inc. RJ45 Fast Ethernet)|
|No./type of USB ports||1 x USB2.0 host, 1 x microUSB OTG|
|HDMI form factor||Yes (inc. composite AV via 3.5mm socket)|
|Dimensions||76 x 73 x21mm|
Try these similar stories:
- Compact V482 STB mini PC delivers Wi-Fi, Ethernet, composite AV
- A20 mini PC combines Allwinner A20 CPU with Android 4.2.2 OS
- CBN802 quad-core mini PC delivers Wi-Fi, BT for $63
- ACUBE A1 TV box mini PC offers HDMI, composite AV
- Low-cost CS848 delivers external Wi-Fi antenna, Rockchip CPU
- Hi717 takes the round with latest Android 4.2.2 OS
- Hi714 mini PC packs in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth with dual-core Rockchip CPU under $50
- MOKO M3-T2 TV box mini PC with digital TV tuner for $85
- Quad-core Hi705 TV stick mini PC packs in 2MP camera, external Wi-Fi antenna socket
- Hi720 TV box mini PC packs in quad-core CPU, external Wi-Fi antenna