The USB stick-style mini PCs keep on coming with this U26 model spotted on Aliexpress. It’s a slightly different, slightly thicker chassis design than we’ve seen before but packs in Rockchip’s RK3066 dual-core SoC CPU with 1GB of RAM and 8GB of flash, preloaded with Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean). The makers say it supports Miracast (the OS does, but so does the hardware apparently). There are 4GB and 16GB flash options as well.
Storage can be expanded via MicroSD card slot, up to 32GB per card and you’ve got external options through a Type-A USB2.0 host port plus a microUSB OTG port. There’s decent wireless functionality on-board with 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR supported through an internal antenna.
The bundle includes microUSB OTG cable, HDMI extender and power brick for its $48 price tag that also includes shipping.
This isn’t a chassis design we’ve seen before – yes, it’s a USB stick style but the horizontal airflow cuts and general styling appears different from the other mini PCs we’ve reported on so far. While Bluetooth 4.0 would’ve been preferable, to get Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in a sub-$50 mini PC isn’t bad going and it should be up to some moderate gaming and 1080p video playback.
Rockchip’s RK3066 dual-core SoC CPU is one of the fastest dual-core ARM processors still around and although it’ll be outpaced by Rockchip’s own quad-core RK3188 and most likely Allwinner’s A31 quad-core Cortex A7 release, the RK3066 should still provide decent performance, particularly at this sub-$50 price point. That said, RK3188-based mini PCs are starting to drop down to around $65 so its worth keeping that in mind when you’re making your buying decisions.
|Processor||Rockchip RK3066 dual-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.6GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB|
|No./type of USB ports||1 x USB2.0 host, 1 x microUSB OTG|
|HDMI form factor||v1.4|
|Announce Date||July 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- iPEGTOP Dual-core RK3066 TV stick mini PC drops below $33
- AD6333 slimline USB stick mini PC with dual-core Rockchip CPU
- Ocean Star OS-TRK303 dual-core mini PC selling for under $40
- Low-cost CS848 delivers external Wi-Fi antenna, Rockchip CPU
- Hi714 mini PC packs in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth with dual-core Rockchip CPU under $50
- AD6352 mini PC includes quad-core CPU, Bluetooth 4.0
- Ugoos UM1 TV stick features dual-core CPU with remote control
- E888 USB stick mini PC runs Android 4.2.2 with quad-core CPU
- MX6 mini PC runs Amlogic dual-core processor
- QT950 mini PC, a CX-919II quad-core lookalike for $60 plus shipping