One of the more popular mini PCs of late has been the CX-919, with its quad-core Rockchip RK3188 SoC CPU. Today, Geekbuying.com announced it has a new ROM that delivers 1080p (1920×1080-pixel) resolution video output.
The CX-919 was one of the first mini PCs to feature an external Wi-Fi antenna, which has helped some of the Wi-Fi signal issues plaguing some preceding mini PCs. But like many models, the CX-919 only offered a standard 720p (1280×720-pixel) video output over its HDMI port, despite having more than enough CPU and GPU power to handle a better-looking 1080p (1920×1080-pixel) desktop output.
In the past, part of the reason for the 720p output in some mini PCs has been a lack of performance caused when rendering 1080p due to inadequate CPU speed. However, it is known that running a 1080p output mode also increases power consumption as the mini PC has to output effectively twice the number of pixels every second. That extra power also increases heat production, which may affect the CPU.
Geekbuying.com announced today that it had pushed the OEM factory producing the CX-919 to create a true 1080p ROM firmware based on Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) and it’s now available from the Geekbuying.com website. Instructions on how to install the ROM onto the mini PC are also found here.
At this stage, it’s not known what else the new CX-919 ROM brings to the device. There’s also no word on whether any heat production precautions need to be taken with the device when running the new ROM. The ROM shouldn’t be used in similarly styled non-CX919 models as there are no guarantees that the ROM will work correctly. Quite often, installing the wrong ROM firmware can stop Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functions from working because of the wrong driver software included.
Try these similar stories:
- Rikomagic MK802IV, clones get new 1080p ROM firmware
- New official CX-919 ROM update fixes ‘blank internal flash’
- Q&A: Can I overclock my mini PC?
- ROM Roundup – PIPO M6, Ainol Novo7, Cube U30GT2 and more
- ROM Roundup – New releases for CS868, MK802IV
- Homebrew case upgrade for MK802IV mini PC
- Are phones, tablets, mini PCs overheating? Is water-cooling the answer?
- Tronsmart MK908 gets new Android 4.2 ROM, fixes bugs
- New CUBE U30GT2 test ROM firmware with RK3188 SDK2.0 upgrade
- New Rikomagic MK802 IIIS ROM (130722) update adds 5.1-audio output, Android 4.2.2