Freaktab.com forum member [Maximus] has taken the MK908 to new heights, incorporating an overclocked new ROM, boosting its clock speed to 1.8GHz. He’s also incorporate a three-port USB hub in the bottom with an RJ45 Fast Ethernet port link.
The power supply on the right is more than enough to drive this rig with 5VDC@7A to play with. Two 40mm fans provide added air cooling.
Extra storage for the build comes from an old 100GB 2.5-inch hard drive that’s connected via USB port. The side-on shot below gives you a better idea of how the build actually went together – the mini PC is the black box directly behind the three type-A USB ports you can see.
There are no details on how much this MK908 mod cost, but you can find out more information on the build over at the Freaktab.com forum.
One of the benefits of a USB stick-style mini PC over TV box style models is the ability to create mods like this and still keep the whole thing reasonably well contained. Until recently, many network-attached storage (NAS) boxes featured ARM-grade processors driving up to four hard drives in various RAID formations. With 100GB of hard drive space, quad-core CPU and GPU performance and Wi-Fi available, we think this MK908 mod should be one decent homebrew build that lasts for some time.
Try these similar stories:
- Cubietruck delivers dual-core mini PC with VGA, HDMI output
- Powering mini PCs from your TV’s USB port
- Q&A – What are the best ROMs for the MK808 mini PC?
- [LIST] Mini PCs with VGA output
- New official CX-919 ROM update fixes ‘blank internal flash’
- How to best power mini PC/TV sticks
- How to hook up a mini PC
- RaspberryPi-in-a-stick Stealth Nighthawk F-117A promises XBMC on your HDMI TV
- Q&A: CX-919 1080p custom ROM freezing?
- Jesurun A19 Android TV box packs in VGA, SATA HDD bay for $80