Aaeon Electronics is an associate company of Taiwanese notebook and PC component giant ASUS and produces a range of industrial electronics components and equipment, which has now spread into the production of ruggedised mini PCs based on Intel’s Atom processor. The Aaeon AEC-6401 is claimed to be one of the world’s thinnest fanless designs at just 20mm thick, powered by Intel’s Atom N2600 dual-core X86 processor, so it’s capable of running Windows XP, Windows 7 and probably Windows 8 at a stretch.
The chassis is made from die-cast Aluminium with the front panel consists of four USB2.0 host ports, miniHDMI output and power button.
There’s room for up to 2GB of RAM and an mSATA port internally for hard drive or SSD connected to the Intel NM10 chipset board.
The rear panel unusually handles four RJ45 ports but while this might look like an Ethernet router, only one of the ports supports actually networking – the other three are serial ports, one straight RS-232 and the other two supporting RS-232/422/485.
Linuxgizmos.com spotted this and noted its ruggedised handling, able to deal with a temperature range of -20 to 40degrees C with no airflow and shocks of up to 50G with an SSD on-board.
Given the design, we suspect the diecast aluminium chassis acts as a form of heatsink for the CPU. Being dual-core, it should have the performance to handle 1080p video playback and it’d make for one incredibly tough little mini PC if you like the industrial look. However, it’s primarily designed for industrial/embedded applications so don’t expect any help on ‘how do I hook this up to my TV?’.
|Processor||Intel Atom N2600 dual-core X86|
|Clock||Up to 1.6GHz|
|GPU type||PowerVR SGX545|
|Operating system||Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux|
|RAM||up to 2GB DDR3|
|Internal storage||mSATA port|
|External storage||via USB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||No (inc. RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet)|
|No./type of USB ports||4 x USB2.0 host (plus 2 x internal)|
|HDMI form factor||miniHDMI|
|Dimensions||125 x 77 x 20mm|
Try these similar stories:
- Inctel IN-I160C X86 mini PC goes for $94 plus shipping
- New Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet to use Intel Atom CPU
- Intel Bay Trail CPU lineup leaked, TDPs as low as 4.5W
- MINIX Mini HD delivers dual-core Atom PC for under $120
- MiniX Mini HD PC selling for $119 plus shipping
- Dual-core Celeron-powered X-26 mini PC selling for under $200
- Lenovo Miix 10 tablet to sell for $549 this quarter
- Intel release new N2805, N2810, N2910 processors
- Ultrabook with 3200×1800-pixel screen – Samsung’s ATIV Book 9 Plus
- Lenovo launches Intel-powered K900 smartphone in India