The Atom N270 processor was the first genuine ‘netbook’ CPU from Intel and rode the netbook wave for much of 2008 and 2009. Today, that old 1.6GHz single-core CPU is still getting a run inside new low-cost ‘thin client’ PCs coming out of China. These models began appearing late in 2012 with prices of around $120, but with the march of time, we’ve just seen the first one – an Inctel IN-I160C model – become available for under $100.
Inctel’s IN-I160C matches the two-piece aluminium chassis design we’ve seen before and includes Intel’s Atom N270 CPU on an Intel 945GC chipset-based motherboard.
Note, this is a bare-bones system – there’s no memory or hard drive included. However, like most Atom-powered netbooks of the era, the IN-I160C will take up to 2GB of RAM. There’s a SATA port, able to handle an internal drive up to 500GB.
Peripheral port coverage appears to be pretty decent too – since the 945GC includes Intel’s integrated graphics engine, you get a VGA output up to 1920×1080-pixel resolution alongside four USB2.0 ports and RJ45 Fast Ethernet networking. There doesn’t appear to be any wireless networking built-in but we imagine you could add that in over USB. For some reason, this one also includes dual 9-pin DB9 serial port sockets on one end. And you’ll find a PS/2 port for a keyboard or mouse.
Power consumption is rated at 13-watts and it’s said to handle Windows XP or Windows 7.
We’ve found this one available on Aliexpress for $94 plus shipping.
|Processor||Intel Atom N270 single-core X86|
|Clock||Up to 1.6GHz|
|GPU type||Intel (integrated)|
|Operating system||None (Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux supported)|
|RAM||None (up to 2GB supported)|
|Internal storage||None (up to 500GB via SATA port)|
|External storage||Via USB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||None (inc. RJ45 Ethernet)|
|No./type of USB ports||4 x USB2.0|
|HDMI form factor||None (VGA output, up to 1920×1080-pixel)|
|Dimensions||210 x 140 x 40mm|
Essentially, it’s a 2009-era netbook without the keyboard or screen.
Try these similar stories:
- MiniX Mini HD PC selling for $119 plus shipping
- Aaeon AEC-6401 a ruggedised dual-core Atom mini PC
- Lenovo Miix 10 tablet to sell for $549 this quarter
- MINIX Mini HD delivers dual-core Atom PC for under $120
- Intel Bay Trail CPU lineup leaked, TDPs as low as 4.5W
- ASUS N550, N750 notebooks features Gen-4 Haswell CPU, quad-speaker array
- Dual-core Celeron-powered X-26 mini PC selling for under $200
- Taiwanese show off next 7-inch Windows 8.1 tablet
- Ultrabook with 3200×1800-pixel screen – Samsung’s ATIV Book 9 Plus
- New Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet to use Intel Atom CPU