Korean mini PC maker HardKernel has launched the follow-up to its popular Exynos 4412 boards called the ODROID-XU and powered by Samsung’s new Exynos 5 Octa SoC CPU, making it one of the most sophisticated mini PCs so far produced in terms of CPU performance.
What’s interesting is that HardKernel is showing this one off with a heatsink fan for cooling (which makes you wonder about how well the chip remains cool inside a smartphone chassis).
The board itself is reasonably well stocked but not in the way you might think. The ODROID-XU offers only HDMI output via microHDMI port. There’s no on-board storage and there’s no built-in Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
However, like the old ODROID-U2, there’s the option of both MicroSD and eMMC storage, up to 64GB for the latter. HardKernel is recommending the eMMC option, which delivers up to 160MB/second transfer speeds. The impressive feature for us is the six USB ports – one USB3.0 host, one USB3.0-standard OTG masquerading as a microUSB port and then you get four USB2.0 host ports to play with. With that many external options, we really like HardKernel’s decision to offer a decent 5V/4A power brick with this one. Six USB ports will need power from somewhere.
At this stage, the board is being offered at an early-bird price of $149 (while stocks last we imagine) until the end of the month, when the price reverts to $169. First board shipments expected to happen on September 10.
|Processor||Samsung Exynos 5 Octa quad-core Cortex A15 & A7|
|Clock||Up to 1.6GHz|
|GPU type||Power VR SGX544 MP3|
|Operating system||Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB, eMMC, up to 64GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||No (RJ45 Fast Ethernet)|
|No./type of USB ports||1 x USB3.0 host, 1 x USB3.0 microUSB OTG, 4 x USB2.0 host|
|HDMI form factor||microHDMI (inc. 3.5mm headphone)|
|Dimensions||94 x 70 x 18mm|
|Announce Date||August 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- New ODROID-XU+E measure CPU, GPU, RAM power consumption separately
- Waxberry Pi2 dev board packs in dual-core Rockchip CPU
- New Radxa Rock single-board computer runs Rockchip RK3188 for under $90
- Samsung to launch new Exynos 5 Octa with double GPU performance
- E888 USB stick mini PC runs Android 4.2.2 with quad-core CPU
- India gets Amazon Kindle Fire HD tablets June 27
- Ocean Star OS-TRK303 dual-core mini PC selling for under $40
- Hi714 mini PC packs in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth with dual-core Rockchip CPU under $50
- MeLE M8 quad-core STB mini PC discounted for limited time
- AD6333 slimline USB stick mini PC with dual-core Rockchip CPU