The Zoomtak M6 is a compact, stylish-looking TV box mini PC powered by Amlogic’s dual-core AML8726-MX Cortex A9 SoC CPU, accompanied by 1GB of RAM and 4GB of flash, preloaded with Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) operating system.
It’s another unit well stocked with peripheral options, starting with a full-size SD card slot, good for up to 32GB per card. To that, you can add four USB2.0 host ports for a range of peripherals. That’s double what we normally see with most TV box style models at the moment.
There’s 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi plus RJ45 Fast Ethernet and an external Wi-Fi antenna but no Bluetooth.
The unusual features in this one aren’t the HDMI (1.3) output but the RCA composite audio/video sockets. Not only that, this one includes a coax S/PDIF digital audio output, something we’ve not seen on a mini PC before. Something else we haven’t seen before on one of these is the front blue LED clock.
This is a compact model just 25mm high (not including Wi-Fi antenna) and you’ll find it at various retailers selling for as little as $75 including shipping.
The bundle includes a decent 12V/2A DC power brick, remote control, user manual and HDMI cable. Zoomtak also has 8GB and 16GB versions of the M6 according to its website, although we haven’t seen these readily available. The AML8726-MX should deliver performance roughly equal to Rockchip’s RK3066 given similar architecture and clock speed. However, we understand the AML8726-MX only includes a dual-core Mali-400 MP2 graphics engine, not the quad-core Mali-400 MP4 inside the RK3066.
Still, if you’re looking for coaxial S/PDIF output and four USB2.0 ports on a mini PC, that’s still exceedingly rare, making this one well worth a look.
|Processor||Amlogic AML8726-MX dual-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.5GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400|
|Operating system||Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||SD, up to 32GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||802.11b/g/n (inc. RJ45 Ethernet)|
|No./type of USB ports||4 x USB2.0 host|
|HDMI form factor||1.3 (inc. composite AV & coax S/PDIF)|
|Dimensions||160 x 108 x 25mm|
|Announce Date||May 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- MOKO M3-T2 TV box mini PC with digital TV tuner for $85
- MeLE M3 STB mini PC comes with three video output options
- Himedia Q11 Duo STB mini PC powered by HiSilicon 3718 CPU
- Himedia A7 TV box mini PC to launch with dual-core HiSilicon CPU
- K5 Android TV Box mini PC with dual-core CPU, twin audio options
- CS838, an EM6 mini PC look-alike with dual-core CPU, four USB ports
- Compact V482 STB mini PC delivers Wi-Fi, Ethernet, composite AV
- New 10moons D6 dual-core TV box with Amlogic CPU
- UG008B TV box mini PC delivers three-way networking for under $70
- MK888 follows EKB111, CS918, K-R42 with quad-core TV box