Barely a couple of days after the updated Rikomagic MK802IV news hit the streets, Freaktab regular user [neomode] has crunched out a new custom ROM for the mini PC.
While the original MK802IV model featured a Ralink 8188 Wi-Fi chip, Rikomagic has since replaced it with Broadcom’s increasingly popular AP6210, which features 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 3.0.
According to [neomode], the new ROM removes unnecessary extra software and is based on the recent Android 4.2.2 ROM release with 3.0.36+ Linux kernel.
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are confirmed working with this ROM and it has full root-access. In addition, the ROM is said to work with compatible devices, the CX-919 and Podoor’s new T518 mini PC. At this stage, it has yet to be tested on the MK908 so owners of this device are recommended to wait until support for this mini PC is confirmed.
The new MK802IV custom ROM is available from the Freaktab.com website, which includes flashing instructions to your device.
WARNING – make sure you only use this ROM on supported devices with the Broadcom AP6210 Wi-Fi/BT chip. Don’t use it on the original MK802IV or you may lose your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity.
The MK802IV USB stick-style mini PC is powered by Rockchip’s popular RK3188 quad-core SoC CPU with 2GB of RAM and 8GB of flash, preloaded with Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) operating system. The unit comes with 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless networking plus two USB ports – one Type-A host port and an extra microUSB OTG. Storage can be expanded via MicroSD card slot, up to 32GB per card. The first-generation model is selling for around the $90 mark from many retailers online. There are no details yet on the price of the new AP6210-powered MK802IV.
Try these similar stories:
- Rikomagic MK802III LE will include bootable custom Ubuntu OS
- Q&A – What are the best ROMs for the MK808 mini PC?
- CX-919 gets new Finless 4.1.1 ROM, 4.2.2 coming soon
- User mod adds extra heatsinks to MK808B mini PC
- Rikomagic MK602 combines camera, microphone with Rockchip CPU
- Q&A: Is there an Android 4.2 ROM for the MK802?
- New Android ROM for MK802IV mini PC fixes bugs
- ROM Roundup – stock & custom Android 4.2 ROMs for MK802IIIS
- New version MK802IV mini PC gains new Broadcom AP6210 Wi-Fi chip
- CyanogenMod 10.1 coming to the RK3188 CPU