This compact K5-model TV box mini PC is one of the thinner models we’ve seen, powered by Rockchip’s original RK3066 dual-core SoC CPU and comes with 1GB of DDR3 RAM and 4GB of flash, preloaded with Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) operating system. At this stage, we do not know whether to expect an Android 4.2 update or not.
The storage is expandable through full-size SD card slot, good for up to 32GB per card, but you also get three USB2.0 ports, one more than we’ve seen on most TV box mini PCs of late.
What you don’t get on this one is composite video output – it’s HDMI only, but strangely, you get analog audio line-out through a 3.5mm TRS socket. There’s also S/PDIF digital audio through a TOSLink socket.
The K5 comes with 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi with internal antenna but you also get RJ45 Fast Ethernet. What is missing is Bluetooth support – whether that can be added externally remains to be seen.
If you were thinking of a basic mini PC setup, the three USB ports mean you’d get keyboard, mouse and external storage drive plugged in without the need for a USB hub. We don’t expect the USB ports will have enough juice to power a bus-powered hard drive, but an externally-powered drive shouldn’t have any trouble. As a gaming unit, the fact the RK3066 SoC CPU includes ARM’s quad-core version of the Mali-400 should put it in good stead. There are faster gaming options around (particularly the Adreno and PowerVR SGX54x GPUs) but the Mali-400 MP4 should still do reasonably well. Whether or not it will correctly display a 1080p desktop though is the question (many mini PCs are locked to 720p to provide greater performance and reduce heat production).
As a genuine TV box mini PC, it also comes with a basic remote control unit, HDMI cable and external AC mains power brick said to be 12VDC@1A.
This unit is quite compact at just 148mm square and only 23mm thick. We found this one available online from a number of retailers selling for around $80 including shipping.
|Model||K5 Android TV Box|
|Processor||Rockchip RK3066 dual-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.2GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||SD card, up to 32GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||802.11b/g/n (inc. RJ45 Ethernet)|
|No./type of USB ports||3 x USB2.0 host|
|HDMI form factor||Yes (inc. S/PDIF & line-out audio)|
|Dimensions||148 x 148 x 23mm|
Try these similar stories:
- CS838, an EM6 mini PC look-alike with dual-core CPU, four USB ports
- Zoomtak M6 mini PC delivers coax digital audio, dual video output
- MeLE M3 STB mini PC comes with three video output options
- Himedia Q11 Duo STB mini PC powered by HiSilicon 3718 CPU
- MeLE M8 quad-core STB mini PC discounted for limited time
- MK888 follows EKB111, CS918, K-R42 with quad-core TV box
- ENY EM6 STB mini PC gets Android 4.2.2 ROM update
- Himedia A7 TV box mini PC to launch with dual-core HiSilicon CPU
- MOKO M3-T2 TV box mini PC with digital TV tuner for $85
- HiMedia Q5 II STB mini PC features external SATA connector