The Hi709 is another of the HDMI plug-style USB stick mini PCs to hit the market, but rather than using the quad-core Rockchip RK3188 SoC CPU, this one sticks with the tried-and-trusted first-generation dual-core RK3066 chip instead.
It’s one of the more stylish models going around with its two-tone extruded aluminium-style casework (we’re told it’s all plastic) and combines that chip with 1GB of DDR3 RAM and 4GB of flash, preloaded with Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) – fairly typical features for an entry-level mini PC.
There’s a MicroSD card slot, good for up to 32GB per card and you get 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi with an internal antenna. There’s no Bluetooth on this one. Peripheral port options include a standard Type-A USB port and a microUSB OTG port.
The RK3066 chip might be a dual-core Cortex A9 design but it features ARM’s quad-core Mali-400 MP4 graphics engine so it’s potentially a reasonable choice for a low-cost Android gaming setup.
While it’s not overly generous in features, it’s not overly expensive either – you’ll find it for around $55 plus shipping online from various retailers.
|Processor||Rockchip RK3066 dual-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.2GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||802.11b/g/n (internal antenna)|
|No./type of USB ports||1 x USB2.0 host, 1 x microUSB OTG|
|HDMI form factor||Yes|
|Dimensions||103 x 42 x 11mm|
Try these similar stories:
- CX803 TV stick mini PC delivers dual-core CPU, external antenna under $50
- Hi714 mini PC packs in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth with dual-core Rockchip CPU under $50
- AD6333 slimline USB stick mini PC with dual-core Rockchip CPU
- E888 USB stick mini PC runs Android 4.2.2 with quad-core CPU
- U-SEEK US636 dual-core mini PC with external antenna under $50
- Low-cost CS848 delivers external Wi-Fi antenna, Rockchip CPU
- CozySwan S400 USB stick mini PC with detachable Wi-Fi antenna
- New MK809C TV stick mini PC features slide-away antenna, optional 16GB flash
- X31 mini PC matches Hi705 with quad-core CPU and built-in camera
- Hi707 mini PC packs in quad-core CPU, external Wi-Fi, 5MP camera