We’re seeing plenty of USB stick-style mini PCs arrive with external antennas these days but so far, they’ve been noticeably external to the casework and easily bumped. Podoor is another Chinese brand getting into the mini PC space but it looks to have a nice solution to the problem with its new Podoor T518.
This one comes with a single external Wi-Fi antenna but it’s designed to slide into position alongside the casework so that it finishes the case profile, making for a neat design.
The T518 is yet another to run the very popular Rockchip RK3188 quad-core SoC CPU with ARM’s Mali-400 MP4 quad-core graphics engine inside. It’s accompanied by 2GB of RAM and 8GB of flash, preloaded with Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) operating system.
The storage can be expanded by MicroSD card, up to 32GB per card and there’s good networking here with 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (although which version is supported is unknown). The external antenna nicely slides into position, finishing the external lines of the unit, something we haven’t seen before.
Otherwise, the fact it comes with the very latest available Android OS is a bonus (there are still a number floating around with Android 4.1). You’ll find this one at retailers like w2comp for around $80 including shipping – it’s not the cheapest quad-core mini PC we’ve seen but it’s not far off.
The Rockchip RK3188 quad-core SoC CPU is based on ARM’s Cortex A9 architecture but unlike other A9 chips, this one is manufactured at a smaller 28-nanometre scale, which reduces heat production and power consumption.
|Processor||Rockchip RK3188 quad-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.5GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB|
|No./type of USB ports||1 x USB2.0 host, 1 microUSB OTG|
|HDMI form factor||Yes|
|Dimensions||100 x 40 x 10mm|
|Weight||< 40 grams|
|Announce Date||July 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- Kimdecent MK31, a Podoor T518-lookalike quad-core mini PC with external antenna
- New MK809C TV stick mini PC features slide-away antenna, optional 16GB flash
- Ugoos UM1 TV stick features dual-core CPU with remote control
- Ocean Star OS-TRK303 dual-core mini PC selling for under $40
- CX803 TV stick mini PC delivers dual-core CPU, external antenna under $50
- New IPPLI Mars i2 TV stick mini PC offers external removable antenna
- New quad-core HG-UD7 mini PC has optional dual-band Wi-Fi
- U-SEEK US636 dual-core mini PC with external antenna under $50
- Hi707 mini PC packs in quad-core CPU, external Wi-Fi, 5MP camera
- CozySwan S400 USB stick mini PC with detachable Wi-Fi antenna