There are three styles of mini PC you can buy these days – the USB stick form factor, the TV box style and the less-common bare-bones circuit board. Chinese brand Waxberry has come out with its Waxberry Pi2 development board that delivers a decent list of peripheral options.
It’s a small circuit board measuring 72 x 72mm but is loaded with peripheral ports. First, it’s powered by Rockchip’s popular first-generation RK3066 dual-core SoC CPU, clocking at up to 1.6GHz and including ARM’s Mali-400 MP4 graphics engine.
There’s a MicroSD card slot, good for up to 32GB per card, along with a USB2.0 host and MicroUSB OTG ports. You’ll also find RJ45 Fast Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on-board so it has pretty decent networking. You also get two choices for video output – miniHDMI or composite AV through a 3.5mm TRRS socket.
The board comes with 1GB of DDR3 RAM and 8GB of flash, preloaded with Android 4.1 according to cnx-software.
While the board will certainly be faster than the 700MHz Broadcom BCM2835 SoC CPU-powered Raspberry Pi, the Waxberry Pi2 is unlikely to have the same speed as the Odroid-U2 from Hardkernel.com with its quad-core Samsung Exynos 4412 chip.
|Processor||Rockchip RK3066 dual-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.6GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400|
|Operating system||Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB|
|No./type of USB ports||1 x USB2.0 host, 1 x microUSB OTG|
|HDMI form factor||miniHDMI (also composite AV)|
|Dimensions||72 x 72mm|
|Announce Date||July 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- HardKernel launches ODROID-XU mini PC with Exynos 5 Octa CPU
- New ODROID-XU+E measure CPU, GPU, RAM power consumption separately
- New Radxa Rock single-board computer runs Rockchip RK3188 for under $90
- Ditter U24 STB mini PC packs in VIA SoC CPU
- MK819 dual-core STB mini PC sells online for $36?
- iPEGTOP dual-core mini PC with built-in Bluetooth/Wi-Fi
- Compact V482 STB mini PC delivers Wi-Fi, Ethernet, composite AV
- Himedia A7 TV box mini PC to launch with dual-core HiSilicon CPU
- Rikomagic MK602 combines camera, microphone with Rockchip CPU
- Low-cost CS848 delivers external Wi-Fi antenna, Rockchip CPU