It looks as though we can expect Google to launch its second-generation tablet within the next week, after photos emerge of stock screens pricing the new Nexus 7 and an upcoming press conference scheduled for July 24.
Androidcentral has been sent this screen grab of a SKU screen showing pricing for the Nexus 7-inch tablet at $229 for the 16GB version and $269 for the 32GB model. Liliputing believes the launch date will be July 24 as Google Android/Chrome boss Sundar Pichai is hosting a press event on that day. However, engadget thinks a date as early as July 20 is possible after receiving a leaked OfficeMax document stating that shipments of the new tablet could be arriving as early as then. Still, a Saturday launch you would think would be less likely. That said, engadget is also pulling for a July 24 launch.
Rumours about the follow-up Nexus 7′s specs have been floating around for a few weeks now. Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 600 quad-core SoC CPU is expected to power the unit (there was some thought it might be the older Snapdragon S4 Pro but that is less likely) with a 4000mAh Lithium-ion battery, 5MP rear-facing camera and possibly the introduction of Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) operating system.
There is some expectation that the screen might be a Full HD (1920×1080-pixel) LED-backlit touchpanel but there has been no confirmation of that and nothing seen so far in any of the leaked material floating around the web. Full HD panels in a 7.0-inch form factor are not common so Google/ASUS will be doing well to get it happening inside what are still decent prices given the level of hardware being included elsewhere. The current-generation Nexus 7 has a 1280×800-pixel panel.
If the rumours and leaks are correct, we only have a week at the moment to wait.
Try these similar stories:
- Nexus 7 II tablet coming with HD near-Retina display this July
- Google to launch LTE Nexus 4 in May
- Google Nexus 4 drops start price to $199 in US, $249 in Australia
- Specifications – (ASUS) Google Nexus 7 2
- LG launches new 5.3-inch FHD panel just 2.2mm thick
- Next-gen Nexus 7 II tablet to include Snapdragon 600 CPU?
- PIPO to launch quad-core U8 tablet with 7.85-inch IPS panel
- Nokia Lumia 625 officially announced tomorrow, get the specs now
- HTC announces new quad-core Butterfly s smartphone
- New rumour has Apple launching iOS 7 to all devices September 10