We must have missed this one in our travels because it hasn’t turned up until now – the compact CS848 TV box-style mini PC.
This one is built around Rockchip’s original dual-core RK3066 SoC CPU, build around ARM’s Cortex A9 architecture. Its accompanied by the standard 1GB of DDR3 RAM/8GB of flash cache, preloaded with Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) operating system.
This little unit is a bit AppleTV like but with more features including MicroSD card slot, good for up to 32GB per card. There’s also dual video output options with HDMI and composite AV via 3.5mm TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve) connector. Networking is pretty decent too, despite the size, with RJ45 Fast Ethernet port and 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and external antenna. And you can throw Bluetooth 2.1 into that mix as well – sure, it’s no 4.0 but given how few TV box-style mini PCs bother to include Bluetooth, 2.1 is definitely better than nothing.
The drawback with the size is that there’s only room for one USB2.0 host port. You do get a microUSB OTG port, also located on the front.
The nice thing about this one is the price – you can pick it up for under $70 including shipping from retailers at Aliexpress (shop around and you may do even better).
|Processor||Rockchip RK3066 dual-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.5GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||802.11b/g/n (inc. RJ45 Ethernet)|
|No./type of USB ports||1 x USB2.0 host, 1 x microUSB OTG|
|HDMI form factor||Yes (inc. composite AV)|
|Dimensions||86 x 86 x 27.8mm|
|Announce Date||July 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- UG008B TV box mini PC delivers three-way networking for under $70
- MK819 dual-core STB mini PC sells online for $36?
- Low-cost Hi709 USB stick mini PC delivers dual-core Rockchip CPU
- Ditter U24 STB mini PC packs in VIA SoC CPU
- MK808C TV stick debuts with dual-core CPU and composite AV output
- Rikomagic MK602 combines camera, microphone with Rockchip CPU
- Low-profile VS-ATV-102 TV box comes with dual-core Amlogic CPU
- Compact V482 STB mini PC delivers Wi-Fi, Ethernet, composite AV
- Hi714 mini PC packs in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth with dual-core Rockchip CPU under $50
- QT970 TV stick features Allwinner quad-core chip, external Wi-Fi antenna