This brand-new model is another to pack in Amlogic’s dual-core AML8726-MX SoC CPU based on ARM’s Cortex A9 architecture. We’re not sure why all of a sudden but we’ve seen a couple today. It comes with the usual 1GB of DDR3 RAM/8GB of flash cache, but it’s preloaded with Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) operating system, so until we see Android 4.3, this is a new as it gets.
The round styling will suit those sick of square/rectangular lines. However, the round design will make this look a bit like a bicycle wheel once its loaded up with USB devices, video output and power supply unit.
It’s a mostly standard design inside with HDMI and composite AV via 3.5mm TRRS socket. The on-board storage can be expanded via two USB2.0 host ports and an SD card slot, good for up to 32GB per card. The most surprising feature is the RJ45 Ethernet port. It also includes 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi but no external antenna.
This is one of the cheaper TV box-style mini PCS going around at the moment – we’ve seen it for $72 on Aliepxress but you may find it for less than that if you shop around. If you’re after raw speed, we’d probably suggest you look at some of the Rockchip quad-core RK3188-based models like the CX-921, MK888, EKB311 and other similar units.
The Hi717 cover the basics for peripheral extras but not a lot more, which is arguably one of the limitations you get from using a round chassis.
|Processor||Amlogic AML8276-MX dual-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.5GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP2|
|Operating system||Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||SD, up to 32GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||802.11b/g/n (inc. RJ45 Ethernet)|
|No./type of USB ports||2 x USB2.0 host|
|HDMI form factor||Yes (inc. composite AV)|
|Dimensions||117 x 117 x 25mm|
|Announce Date||July 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- CS928 mini PC runs Amlogic dual-core CPU, has composite AV output
- Semitime QT900 a quad-core mini PC with built-in webcam, mic
- MK819 dual-core STB mini PC sells online for $36?
- Low-profile VS-ATV-102 TV box comes with dual-core Amlogic CPU
- Himedia Q11 Duo STB mini PC powered by HiSilicon 3718 CPU
- Webcam mini PCs – MK602 or MK818
- Hi720 TV box mini PC packs in quad-core CPU, external Wi-Fi antenna
- A20 mini PC combines Allwinner A20 CPU with Android 4.2.2 OS
- Rikomagic MK602 combines camera, microphone with Rockchip CPU
- New UHOST3 TV box set to launch