The QT800 doesn’t take the normal Rockchip SoC CPU route but instead, powers on Allwinner’s A20 dual-core Cortex A7. That’s accompanied by 1GB of DDR3 RAM and 8GB of flash storage, preloaded with Android 4.2.2. Most sellers seem to be claiming a clock speed of 1.5GHz, but we’re a bit suspicious of that since we’ve never seen it go beyond 1.2GHz normally. Cnx-software.com thinks it’s more likely to be 1GHz.
Storage can be expanded via MicroSD card slot, up to 32GB per card. There’s no Bluetooth here but you do get 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi but no external Wi-Fi antenna as you do with many others these days.
As for ports, it’s pretty standard for a sub-$50 mini PC with HDMI, Type-A USB host, microUSB OTG and the MicroSD card slot.
Probably the weakest point is the Allwinner A20 CPU itself – since its a Cortex A7, it’s likely not to match the Cortex A9 cores inside the RK3066 but should be a little more power efficient.
You’ll find this one from various retailers on Aliexpress for around $44 including shipping. We do like the CX803, even the US636 from U-SEEK, mainly because of that faster Rockchip RK3066 CPU and the external Wi-Fi antenna. The days of Allwinner having that monopoly advantage of being able to boot up a genuine Linux distro are gone since the RK3066 generally has that option too.
There’s certainly no shortage of choice for dual-core mini PCs under $50, but if you want something different from a Rockchip-powered option, this is an alternative.
|Processor||Allwinner A230 dual-core Cortex A7|
|Clock||Up to 1.5GHz(TBC)|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400|
|Operating system||Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB|
|No./type of USB ports||1 x USB2.0 host, 1 x MicroUSB OTG|
|HDMI form factor||v1.4|
|Announce Date||July 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- A20 mini PC combines Allwinner A20 CPU with Android 4.2.2 OS
- QT970 TV stick features Allwinner quad-core chip, external Wi-Fi antenna
- New MK809C TV stick mini PC features slide-away antenna, optional 16GB flash
- New quad-core HG-UD7 mini PC has optional dual-band Wi-Fi
- X31 mini PC matches Hi705 with quad-core CPU and built-in camera
- MeLE M8 quad-core STB mini PC discounted for limited time
- UG007III TV stick boosts Allwinner numbers, adds Bluetooth
- E888 USB stick mini PC runs Android 4.2.2 with quad-core CPU
- MK806 mini PC gives MK802 chassis a dual-core reboot
- QT850 mini PC with dual cores and dual antenna