Many of the ROM updates we’ve seen so far for mini PCs over the last few weeks have been for devices built around Rockchip’s quad-core RK3188 SoC CPU and as others have pointed out, there’s been a real void on updates for Allwinner-based devices like the CS868.
However, cnx-software.com has been told of a new one appearing on a Chinese web forum – version 2.0.5. It’s based on Android 4.1.1 and the changelog for this and the previous version is an interesting read:
Changelog against V2.05:
* Add video color brightness, contrast and saturation settings
* Output to HDMI output by default
* Other systems optimization
and the Changelog against V2.04 (22nd of May):
* Reduce DDR frequency to improve system stability.
* Fixed potential sound failure.
* Optimize USB OTG interface to fix issues with Air mice.
* Increase nandflash DATA partition to 2GB
* Several improvement for broadcast quality, on-demand videos, games and other software.
* Diverse small bug fixes
What’s interesting is the need to reduce the RAM clock rate to improve system stability – it possible indicates either a design issue or original settings that were too aggressive. However, it does look like some important improvements have been made in the last few weeks to help improve overall performance.
However, we’ve also found that there’s a new V3.0 beta ROM for the CS868 based on Android 4.2.2. However, this beta looks to have issues, which isn’t surprising given it’s not an official release. First, it’s locked to 720p. Second, it’s performance could be worse than Android 4.1.1 and its recommended users still to the V2.05 release. But the same forum points out that the new official CS868 4.2.2 ROM could only be a few days away.
So if you own a CS868, keep your eyes open – there could well be an Android 4.2.2 ROM very shortly.
Try these similar stories:
- New CUBE U30GT2 test ROM firmware with RK3188 SDK2.0 upgrade
- ROM Roundup – New releases for CS868, MK802IV
- Q&A: Is there an Android 4.2 ROM for the MK802?
- Leaked Android 4.2.2 ROM for Galaxy S3 hits the web
- Q&A – What are the best ROMs for the MK808 mini PC?
- New official CX-919 ROM update fixes ‘blank internal flash’
- Up-coming Blackberry 10.2 update to run Android 4.2.2 apps
- HTC One Android 4.2.2 update begins seeding for non-carrier phones
- Mini PC crossroads – is ROM development too rushed?
- New Tronsmart MK908 ROM adds OTA update feature