Its powered by Rockchip’s RK3188 quad-core Cortex A9 SoC CPU, accompanied by 1GB of DDR3 RAM and 8GB of flash, preinstalled with Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) OS.
Given how small it is, the MK812A does pretty well with HDMI v1.4 output and 3.5mm headphone/audio output. You also get two Type-A host ports and a microUSB OTG port.
The unusual features are the built-in microphone and 2MP camera on the front. It also includes Skype baked into the firmware ROM.
But what you don’t get is RJ45 Ethernet. Still, there’s Wi-Fi on-board in the form of 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth 2.0 has a run as well so you get pretty much everything you’d need in a mini PC, although an external Wi-Fi antenna would’ve been nice too. It also includes a MicroSD card slot, with support for up to 32GB cards and power comes through a microUSB port.
The MK812A is available through Aliexpress for $80 including shipping.
The RK3188 quad-core SoC CPU is based on ARM Cortex A9 technology but manufactured at a smaller-than-usual 28-nanometre scale for lower power consumption. Its graphics are powered by ARM’s Mali-400 MP4 graphics engine.
|Processor||Rockchip RK3188 quad-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.6GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB|
|No./type of USB ports||Two Type-A host, one USB OTG|
|HDMI form factor||V1.4|
|Dimensions||95.5 x 59.5 x 11mm|
|Announce Date||May 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- iPEGTOP Dual-core RK3066 TV stick mini PC drops below $33
- Quad-core TG-NL47D offers HDMI, composite video out, likely CX-921 clone
- MK809III quad-core TV stick mini PC with Bluetooth, 2GB RAM
- Two new Rockchip mini PCs with external antennas arrive
- CBN802 quad-core mini PC delivers Wi-Fi, BT for $63
- MX6 mini PC runs Amlogic dual-core processor
- Hi714 mini PC packs in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth with dual-core Rockchip CPU under $50
- Low-cost CS848 delivers external Wi-Fi antenna, Rockchip CPU
- T005 mini PC packs in quad-core chip with 2GB RAM
- AD6333 slimline USB stick mini PC with dual-core Rockchip CPU