The three new models are the Galaxy Tab 3 7.0, 8.0 and 10.1 models.
The cheapest model, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0, runs a 1.2GHz dual-core SoC CPU with 1GB of RAM and 8GB of on-board flash preloaded with what we believe is Android 4.1.2. The screen is a basic TFT LCD with 1024×600-pixel resolution. This Wi-Fi-only model comes with two cameras – a 1.3MP sensor facing the front and a 3MP camera facing the back – and weighs on the scales at 294grams and on your wallet at $199.
The mid-range model, the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, comes with a $299 price tag and an uprated 1.5GHz dual-core CPU. There’s 1.5GB of RAM and 16GB of flash storage plus a MicroSD card slot can expand storage up to 64GB. The 8.0-inch panel is again a basic TFT type but with 1280×800-pixel resolution. Again, there are two cameras on this Wi-Fi only model – the front camera is the same as the 7.0-inch version but the rear gets a 5MP image sensor. Overall, this one is slightly heavier at 309grams.
And finally, the top drawer model is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 with a $399 price tag. However, while it is bigger, it’s not necessarily better in all aspects.
This one comes with 10.1-inch TFT LCD panel and a slightly faster 1.6GHz dual-core SoC CPU but only 1GB of RAM and 16GB of on-board flash storage. The front camera matches the other two models but the rear sensor is only a 3.2MP type. The TFT panel also only delivers 1280×800-pixel resolution at this price. All up weight comes in at 510grams.
Based on the specs, we think the 8.0-inch mid-range model at $299 is actually the best value with the right mix of pixel density, performance and features. However, Samsung doesn’t say anything about which SoC CPUs are being used but it’s understood from AndroidPolice the 10.1-inch model uses an Intel Atom Z2560 (CloverTrail) SoC CPU. We’ll be interested in how this one performs for battery life.
The tablets are available for pre-order from Samsung’s USB website.
Try these similar stories:
- Samsung announces Galaxy S4 Mini smartphone
- Minipute compares – Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 vs Sony Xperia M
- Samsung official announces Galaxy NX camera
- Specifications – Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 tablet
- [UPDATED] Samsung announces Galaxy Ace 3 smartphone
- Phones compared – Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 vs Huawei Ascend Mate
- Specifications – Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 P5220 tablet
- We compare – Samsung Galaxy S4 vs Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom
- Specifications – Samsung Galaxy Exhibit T599 smartphone
- Samsung announces new Galaxy Ace 3