Firmware updates based on improvements made by Rockchip to its RK3188 software development kit (SDK2.0) have been slowly making their way to the busload of devices using the popular quad-core SoC CPU.
Now it’s the turn of CUBE’s U30GT2 to receive what’s being described as a ‘test’ version of its upcoming Android 4.2.2 ROM firmware.
According to Geekbuying.com, the new firmware provides more than 60fps frame speed at full HD (1920×1080-pixel) video playback. There’s also a 20% speed improvement in page loading times in Android’s web browser. The browser itself gets support for new WebGL mobile gaming and there have been significant improvements to the HDMI video output quality and stability. Miracast gets improvements too, as does the RK3188′s power management, which should further improve battery life.
One problem that has come up with some RK3188-based mini PCs has been slow video playback frame speed, not to mention the Netflix scrambling issue where streaming Netflix videos becomes all but impossible. It’ll be interesting to see if new SDK2.0 firmware and optimisations can fix and improve this area of operation.
You can download the new firmware at the Geekbuying.com page link above, which should also include ROM installation. Please note this is a test release, so it may not be bug-free although Geekbuying.com is confident of its performance.
The Rockchip RK3188 SoC CPU is a quad-core design based on ARM’s Cortex A9 technology but manufactured at a smaller-than-usual 28-nanometre scale, which should help reduce power consumption and improve battery life in tablet devices.
Try these similar stories:
- ROM Roundup – PIPO M6, Ainol Novo7, Cube U30GT2 and more
- FNF iFive X2 gets RK3188 SDK2.0 stock ROM update
- ROM Roundup – New releases for CS868, MK802IV
- New MINIX X7 ROM firmware built with RK3188 SDK2.0
- New Android 4.2 ROM for MK808/MK808B mini PCs fixes Netflix scrambling
- New SDK2.0 software nets big performance gains on Rockchip RK3188 SoC
- New CS868 4.2.2 ROM beta firmware hits the web
- Cube U30GT2 gets new custom ROM
- New Tronsmart MK908 ROM adds OTA update feature
- New official CX-919 ROM update fixes ‘blank internal flash’