It’s a larger style unit to the MK812A that has no camera on-board and replaces the microphone with an RJ45 Ethernet port. Like just about every other computing device on the planet right now, the MK888 is powered by Rockchip’s quad-core RK3188 SoC CPU. This one gets 2GB of DDR3 RAM and 8GB of on-board flash, preloaded with the very latest Android 4.2.2 OS.
It’s nicely loaded up with ports too, including RJ45 Ethernet wired and 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi wireless networking with external antenna, but no Bluetooth. It’s also pretty well off for audio with S/PDIF digital audio output via optical TOSLink connector and standard 3.5mm stereo analog output.
Storage is available through the MicroSD card slot, up to 32GB per card and you get two Type-A host USB2.0 ports for external devices – three would’ve been better.
The one thing you’ll need to watch is pricing – we’ve seen it on sale for over $170 on Aliexpress but if you shop around, you should get it for closer to around the $100 mark.
Again, as with other mini PCs powered by the RK3188, we’re not sure whether the MK888 has or will receive an SDK2.0 update, which seems to give the RK3188 some decent extra zip. So far, we’ve seen a few tablets such as the CUBE U30GT2 get it recently, but not many mini PCs as yet.
|Processor||Rockchip RK3188 quad-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.6GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB|
|No./type of USB ports||Two Type-A USB|
|HDMI form factor||HDMI v1.4, S/PDIF TosLink|
|Announce Date||May 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- K5 Android TV Box mini PC with dual-core CPU, twin audio options
- MeLE M8 quad-core STB mini PC discounted for limited time
- Eny Technology EKB311 TV box mini PC on sale for $US90
- Zoomtak M6 mini PC delivers coax digital audio, dual video output
- ENY EM6 STB mini PC gets Android 4.2.2 ROM update
- New tiny MiniX Neo x5 mini hits store shelves
- MOKO M3-T2 TV box mini PC with digital TV tuner for $85
- Himedia A7 TV box mini PC to launch with dual-core HiSilicon CPU
- New Gaiyee TVB103 TV box coming with VGA output and quad-core CPU
- CS838, an EM6 mini PC look-alike with dual-core CPU, four USB ports