While the popular CS868 TV stick features the Allwinner A31 quad-core CPU, the CS898 gives you an alternative choice of – wait for it – Rockchip’s RK3188 SoC CPU. It’s accompanied by 2GB of DDR3 RAM and 8GB of flash with Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) preloaded.
It unusually features 802.11a wireless as part of its 802.11a/b/g/n standards mix, as well as Bluetooth 2.0. You get the usual type-A host and USB OTG ports on-board but there’s also a physical button, said to be used when upgrading the device’s ROM firmware. The MicroSD card slot on board is good for cards up to 32GB.
Like many mini PCs at the moment, it uses the full-sized HDMI plug, but we suspect it should come with a short extension cable so as not to have to put the unit straight into your TV or monitor’s HDMI socket. At this stage, we don’t know if this has been updated with the new SDK2.0 optimisation firmware from Rockchip or not. Probably not, but hopefully it’ll get one as it looks as though the SDK2.0 is making a significant improvement to the SoC CPU’s Android performance.
The CS898 is available from Aliexpress for around $70 including shipping.
|Processor||Rockchip RK3188 quad-core Cortex A9|
|Clock||Up to 1.8GHz|
|GPU type||ARM Mali-400 MP4|
|Operating system||Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||MicroSD, up to 32GB|
|No./type of USB ports||One USB 2.0 Host, one USB OTG|
|HDMI form factor||MiniHDMI|
|Announce Date||May 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- Super-slim MK812A TV box mini PC with 2MP camera
- CBN802 quad-core mini PC delivers Wi-Fi, BT for $63
- Hi720 TV box mini PC packs in quad-core CPU, external Wi-Fi antenna
- New Measy U4B firmware fixes Bluetooth issue
- Reko QT800 mini PC powered by Allwinner A20 CPU
- New IPPLI Mars i2 TV stick mini PC offers external removable antenna
- Hi702 mini PC, a CX-919 lookalike with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- MK823 mini PC features Allwinner A31s quad-core CPU
- CX803 TV stick mini PC delivers dual-core CPU, external antenna under $50
- New MK809C TV stick mini PC features slide-away antenna, optional 16GB flash