While the specifications are still a closely guarded secret (as usual), sources have told Taiwanese news site digitimes.com that component suppliers are ready to begin production and that there should be no further changes to the Apple iPad 5′s configuration.
According to the report, Apple has gone for a thinner bezel design and reduced the LED backlight tube count from two to one, while at the same time improving battery life. Tablet PCs use special LED ‘tubes’ (like mini fluorescent lamps) to provide the even white backlighting behind the touchscreen panel. The panel itself closes off tiny red, green and blue subpixels via transistors to create the 16.7million (2^24) colours in each pixel.
The word is that Apple has yet to give the final go-ahead for full-speed production on the new iPad 5 but that is expected to come by the end of July, ready for a September launch. The report further says that the company is still to make up its mind whether it wants to push a Retina display into its popular 7.9-inch iPad mini. Doing so however will push the launch of the second-generation model to after October.
And finally, there is continuing push for Apple to get the bezel size of its iPad down (the border between the screen edge and the edge of the tablet) with reports suggesting Apple is trying for a borderless design that appears to be all-screen.
There’ll also be considerable interest in whether Apple has come up with a new A7 SoC CPU to power the iPad 5 and whether it delivers ARM’s big.LITTLE dual-SoC strategy something like a Cortex A7/A15 design like the Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone. Apple is one of the few ARM licensees with the capability of designing its own SoC CPUs and has done so for its A-series of chips.
Try these similar stories:
- Nexus 7 II tablet coming with HD near-Retina display this July
- PIPO to launch quad-core U8 tablet with 7.85-inch IPS panel
- Q&A: Who makes Apple’s iPad tablets?
- Chuwi V88mini tablet to go on sale next week
- Apple grabs 71% tablet market share in China: report
- Q&A – What is a Retina display?
- Specifications – Apple iPad mini Wi-Fi 7.85-inch tablet
- New rumour has Apple launching iOS 7 to all devices September 10
- Samsung Galaxy Gear watch to arrive September 4
- Apple iPhone 5c announced, presales Sept 13, on sale Sept 20