We’ve said it before, but we think the set-top-box (STB) style of mini PC is the most versatile option, mainly because you get extra ports to play with such as composite video and, occasionally, VGA output.
Another feature you some times see is SATA connection for hard drives and HiMedia’s new Q5 II mini PC includes one here.
However, while you get a full SATA data-and-power connector pair, its only a slot connection at the back of the device – not an actual docking bay like you used to see with the MeLE A1000-series, so it’ll be interesting to see how that goes in practice.
Still, this is a surprisingly compact little unit with a 1.6GHz unspecified dual-core SoC CPU with Cortex A9 architecture and Mali-400 GPU. Androidpc.es speculates it might be a HiSilicon/Huawei CPU design; we think it might be a Rockchip RK3066, which also fits those general specs.
Like most STBs, the HiMedia Q5 II is well appointed with three USB2.0 ports, SD card slot and this SATA2 connector at the back. Video output comes in the way of HDMI and composite video; you even get S/PDIF digital audio output. Given it also will passthrough Dolby Digital and DTS-HD audio, that’s not a bad feature to have.
There’s decent networking too with RJ45 Fast Ethernet and the standard 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi wireless connections on-board.
And its operating system is Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean). The HiMedia Q5 II is actually a pretty decent looking little unit and more stylish than some STB designs we’ve seen in the last year.
According to Androidpc.es, the Q5 II is on sale in China for Euro125. You can grab more information direct from HiMedia’s website.
Try these similar stories:
- Himedia A7 TV box mini PC to launch with dual-core HiSilicon CPU
- Himedia Q11 Duo STB mini PC powered by HiSilicon 3718 CPU
- ENY EM6 STB mini PC gets Android 4.2.2 ROM update
- Kaiboer Q7 packs in dual-core CPU – and 3.5-inch HDD
- Q&A: Can I get composite video out of my smartphone?
- MOKO M3-T2 TV box mini PC with digital TV tuner for $85
- Q&A: How do I get analog audio out from a mini PC?
- Q&A: Can I convert my mini PC from HDMI to AV input?
- MK808C TV stick debuts with dual-core CPU and composite AV output
- Jesurun A19 Android TV box packs in VGA, SATA HDD bay for $80