The Slate21 is a 21.5-inch all-in-one PC that also double as the biggest touch-screen tablet you’ll likely see.
But the unusual thing for HP is that it isn’t running Windows 8 – it’s runs Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean).
The combo PC runs Nvidia’s new Tegra 4 quad-core CPU. HP alludes to competitors using “slower dual-core CPUs – and they cost more”, but doesn’t specifically mention whether it’s talking about AMD or Intel.
The screen is an I-PS type with 1920×1080-pixel resolution and the chassis itself comes with a ‘memory hinge’ you can adjust anywhere between 15 and 70 degrees and it will keep its position.
It comes with 8GB of on-board storage and three USB2.0 ports to expand that further. It’ll also come with a full-sized SD card slot, for what we think will be up to 64GB of storage, but at this stage, HP hasn’t specified the RAM count.
HP will be bundling Kingsoft Office software, plus the ability to stream Hulu and Netflix. You’ll also get Splashtop2 HD to work with any Windows PC on your home network.
What’s clear is that this is an early announcement – HP doesn’t expect to begin shipping the Slate21 until September, but when it does, it’ll make some serious waves with its $US399 price tag. Given 10-inch tablets from major brands are still well over $500 in some markets, it’ll be clearly seen by many as a value PC proposition. To be fair, it takes more work to cram a computer into a smaller 10-inch chassis with battery, but with Tegra 4 performance and a decent I-PS panel, this will be a good looking and good performing all-in-one at a price that make squeeze Windows PC makers.
|Processor||Nvidia Tegra 4 quad-core|
|Clock||Up to TBA|
|GPU type||ULP GeForce|
|Screen size (inches)||21.5|
|Screen type||I-PS touchscreen|
|Operating system||Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|External storage||SD card slot, up to 64GB|
|Wi-Fi connectivity||Wi-Fi Direct|
|Announce Date||June 2013, available Sept 2013|
Try these similar stories:
- Tablet price fall: HP Slate 7 to $140, Kindle Fire HD to $169
- Fuhu Nabi Jr, a 5-inch kids tablet with Tegra 3 CPU
- Samsung ATIV Q runs Android and Windows at the same time
- Hyundai Sero 7 Pro tablet with HD screen, quad-core speed for $149
- Specifications – ASUS/Google Nexus 7 tablet
- Taiwanese show off next 7-inch Windows 8.1 tablet
- Microsoft to build next Surface RT with Qualcomm: report
- Wikipad gaming tablet hits US June 11, UK and global later this summer
- Nuvola NP-1 planning to be the first Tegra 4 mini PC
- New Toshiba Excite Pro tablet features 2560×1600-pixel resolution