While its had Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) for some time, S3 owners have been waiting with baited breath for the upcoming Android 4.2 ROM.
Well, it looks like they won’t have long to wait with news that the team at Sammobile.com have managed to get hold of a leaked ROM for the phone featuring Android 4.2.2.
It’s not official, not even finished yet and will likely void your warranty if you try it but the I9300XXUFME7 ROM is now available over at the Sammobile.com website.
According to reports, the new ROM includes a number of updates, among them is a completely revamped Settings user interface that is tabbed like the new Galaxy S4.
Android Version: 4.2.2 – JDQ39 (Jelly Bean)
Region: Open Europe
Changelist: 702147 (Previous leak: I9300XXUFME3 = 611730)
Build Date: 21 May 2013
What’s interesting is the build date – more than a month ago at time of publishing. The firmware package includes Odin 3.04 and you can use it to flash your Galaxy S3 with the new ROM. Again, be warned – flashing your phone with this pre-released phone will very likely void your warranty so use it at your own risk.
The Sammobile.com page includes instructions on how to flash the ROM. Note too, that doing so will wipe your phone so make sure you at least do a nandroid or some other backup you can restore should the ROM go weird.
At this stage, it’s unlikely to be long before we see the official release so only try this if you’re comfortable working with ROMs and can recover a failed ROM.
Try these similar stories:
- Android 4.3 leaked to Galaxy S4, get yours now
- ROM Roundup – New releases for CS868, MK802IV
- Samsung Galaxy Gear watch to arrive September 4
- Samsung launches Galaxy Golden clamshell-flip Android smartphone
- Whatever happened to Android for Raspberry Pi?
- New Samsung Galaxy phone hits India for Rs11,200
- Allwinner A31 CPU cracks 5000 on 3DMark test
- Raspberry Pi overclocking and heatsinking
- Samsung’s Galaxy S4 Zoom: killing off compact digital cameras
- New CS868 4.2.2 ROM beta firmware hits the web