While there are fewer of this latter variety, one of the popular options was the original Cubieboard, with its single-core Allwinner A10 SoC CPU.
The latest news is a new second-generation version is now selling on the Cubie Store for a surprisingly low $US59.
According to cnx-software.com, the new Cubieboard2 features Allwinner’s dual-core A20 SoC CPU based on ARM’s Cortex A7 design and includes a dual-core graphics solution based on the Mali-400 MP2 GPU.
The compact board comes equipped with 1GB of DDR3 RAM, but it’s loaded with longer-term storage options. It starts with 4GB of on-board flash, expands up to 64GB thanks to the MicroSD card slot and can further grow to 2TB with the on-board SATA2 data port built into the board. Apparently, there’s enough on-board power to handle a 2.5-inch hard drive but it’s possible the port would handle 3.5-inch SATA drives with external power supplied (not confirmed).
You get 10/100 Ethernet working out of the box plus two USB2.0 Type-A ports and a miniUSB OTG (On the Go) port.
Video output is 1080p resolution through an HDMI port and it supports both Linux and Android operating systems, although ROMs are still missing from the site at time of publishing.
There’s also a 96-pin header that allows you to extend the board’s functionality – a la Arduino – to include a number of really useful outputs including VGA, composite video and digital audio (coax).
You can grab the new version for $US59 + shipping from the CubieStore.
Try these similar stories:
- Cubietruck delivers dual-core mini PC with VGA, HDMI output
- Dual-core Celeron-powered X-26 mini PC selling for under $200
- Inctel IN-I160C X86 mini PC goes for $94 plus shipping
- JW-11 STB mini PC includes internal 2.5-inch drive bay
- New Radxa Rock single-board computer runs Rockchip RK3188 for under $90
- Himedia A7 TV box mini PC to launch with dual-core HiSilicon CPU
- Mele starts shipping A1000G TV box
- How to best power mini PC/TV sticks
- Raspberry Pi Model A arrives in Australia
- New MK908 mini TV stick features RK3188 quad-core CPU