The CS868 mini PC is notable for being one of the few quad-core mini PCs that doesn’t use a Rockchip RK3188 SoC CPU.
Instead, this compact model runs on Allwinner’s A31 alternative, a quad-core chip designed around ARM’s Cortex A7 design.
The CS868 features a top cover revealing a full-sized HDMI plug but inside, apart from the CPU, it includes 2GB of DDR3 RAM with 16GB of on-board flash and a PowerVR SGX544 graphics engine to handle games.
Apart from the 16GB of flash, you also get a MicroSD card slot with room for up to 32GB of extra space. Alongside a microUSB port, it also features a full-size Type A USB port to act as a host for a USB hub, your keyboard and mouse. It’s powered by Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) and includes Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless connectivity.
Unlike some more recent releases like the CX-919 or the DM918, the CS868 comes with an internal Wi-Fi antenna so its wireless range may not be quite as good as the external-antenna models, but as wireless range is dependent on plenty of variables, the answer to that is still up in the air (no pun intended…)
The most important thing will be to make sure you power this mini PC with a 5V power source capable of delivering at least two amps (2A). If you don’t, the mini PC is liable to reboot, due to its power demands forcing a drop in the power supply voltage to the point where it switches off momentarily. (This is as true of any quad-core mini PC as it is the CS868).
You can pick it up for $US92 from the Miniand.com website.
Try these similar stories:
- Ugoos UM1 TV stick features dual-core CPU with remote control
- Quad-core mini PCs drop below $70
- New MK809C TV stick mini PC features slide-away antenna, optional 16GB flash
- Kimdecent MK31, a Podoor T518-lookalike quad-core mini PC with external antenna
- CX803 TV stick mini PC delivers dual-core CPU, external antenna under $50
- Which mini PC – MK809III or MK802IV?
- New Tronsmart MK908 ROM adds OTA update feature
- Compact V482 STB mini PC delivers Wi-Fi, Ethernet, composite AV
- Hi714 mini PC packs in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth with dual-core Rockchip CPU under $50
- UG007III TV stick boosts Allwinner numbers, adds Bluetooth