Things move quickly in the smartphone game – well they are if you believe the growing number of rumours. No sooner had they surfaced of a cheap iPhone that we’re now hearing production is soon to begin.
Taiwanese news site digitimes.com is reporting sources in the component supply chain claiming that major original design manufacturer (ODM) Pegatron has received orders for a plastic-cased iPhone from Apple.
Production of the budget phone is expected to begin as soon as August according to the report. Component suppliers to Pegatron for the phone are expected to commence shipments in July. At this stage, there are no details on the component make-up of the phone other than its basic outer construction. However, we have a few ideas already of what we think will likely make it inside the phone rumoured to be sold for $US99.
It is claimed that case maker Casetek will be amongst the winners of the Apple sub-contract list. Meanwhile development of Apple’s next flagship iPhone continues and is expected to appear in 2014 made by Foxconn Electronics.
Pegatron was originally a subsidiary of PC motherboard and notebook maker ASUS, but it was spun off into its own entity in 2010. Today, it makes all manner of computing devices including smartphones, tablets and notebooks for major global brands.
At this stage, there are no other reports confirming this but it certainly isn’t out of the realms of possibility. The phone won’t be state-of-the-art so it’s unlikely to require special tooling to begin production, further removing barriers to its speedy delivery.
Try these similar stories:
- Apple iPhone 5c price premium in Australia
- New rumour has Apple launching iOS 7 to all devices September 10
- Is this the new cheap Apple iPhone?
- More shots of new budget iPhone cases emerge
- ASUS launches huge Transformer tablet/All-in-One
- Will Microsoft launch its own Surface phone?
- ASUS brings Android 4.2.1 to MeMO Pad Smart 10
- The $99 iPhone – what you just might see inside
- Q&A: Who makes Apple’s iPad tablets?
- Apple iPad 5 due September, iPad mini in bezel-less design